Please be aware that these recommended hygiene guidelines are very serious as failure to adhere to them could potentially put peoples lives at risk.
Before you start volunteering, please read this page carefully and watch the Volunteering Hygiene Recommendation Video. People are self-isolating in order to avoid infection after all.
All recommended hygiene guidelines below, including our ‘Volunteering Hygiene Recommendation Video’ have been reviewed by health care professionals and approved by Professor Mayur Lakhani (Immediate Past President of the Royal College of GPs).
At all times your own government’s advice is to be followed. This page merely offers a recommendation of how to apply these guidelines when volunteering.
Volunteering Hygiene Recommendation Video:
1. Do not volunteer if you have any symptoms of a cold or are coughing or if you live in the same house with someone experiencing these symptoms.
2. Wash your hands before and after every task you perform.
3. Keep 2 meters (6 feet) distance to everyone, especially the person you are helping but also the other volunteers.
4. Do not touch your face or other people, especially the person you are helping.
5. Cough or sneeze into your elbow or into a tissue that you dispose of immediately.
6. If possible, we recommend using hand sanitizer before and after touching anything that will then come into contact with the person you are helping.
7. Do not wear gloves or face masks without informing yourself of the WHO Guidelines on when and how to use them. Both can increase the risk of spreading the virus if these guidelines are not followed.
8. Avoid using public transport as much as possible. If you have no other travelling option avoid rush hours and busy times if you can.
For more information on the coronavirus and the measures you should take to avoid spreading the virus, please visit:
How Viruses (and Bacteria) Spread and the Power of Hand Hygiene (video below)
For more videos related to the coronavirus please visit:
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.